It's a Girl: Buffalo Firefighters Deliver Baby | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Buffalo Firefighters get plenty of EMS calls, and maternity calls are nothing out of the ordinary.
Normally, the firefighters/EMTs will help the soon-to-be mom to an ambulance, and it's off to the hospital.
But early Friday morning didn't go according to that plan.
As Jim Wilkinson and his fellow firefighters were helping a West Side mother down the stairs, it became clear the baby was ready to make her entrance into the world and fast.
They helped the mom back upstairs and within three minutes, the mom delivered a baby girl. In fact, the delivery was so quick, the baby was born while firefighters went downstairs to get more equipment used for deliveries.
It was the first delivery for Wilkinson, a four-year veteran of the department, but other members from Engine 19 have helped to deliver babies over the years.
Upcoming Events near Westside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.
- DEC says Buffalo company 'creating significant dust'