It's a Girl: Buffalo Firefighters Deliver Baby | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Buffalo Firefighters get plenty of EMS calls, and maternity calls are nothing out of the ordinary.
Normally, the firefighters/EMTs will help the soon-to-be mom to an ambulance, and it's off to the hospital.
But early Friday morning didn't go according to that plan.
As Jim Wilkinson and his fellow firefighters were helping a West Side mother down the stairs, it became clear the baby was ready to make her entrance into the world and fast.
They helped the mom back upstairs and within three minutes, the mom delivered a baby girl. In fact, the delivery was so quick, the baby was born while firefighters went downstairs to get more equipment used for deliveries.
It was the first delivery for Wilkinson, a four-year veteran of the department, but other members from Engine 19 have helped to deliver babies over the years.
Top Westside Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Senator Grisanti’s Bill to Increase Number of Green Homes Built In NYS Passes Senate
- Roger Woodworth Nominated by Senator Grisanti for Veterans Hall of Fame in New York State Senate
- Erie Co. Democratic Chairman Calls Out Sheriff on NY Safe Act