Investigative Post: Is Traffic or Money Driving Peace Bridge Plan? | News
By Dan Telvock
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Public Bridge Authority officials say they're focused on expanding the Peace Bridge Plaza on the American side because it will improve traffic flow.
But a look at the authority's books reveals another possible motive: Money.
While passenger vehicles account for almost 80 percent of bridge traffic, car tolls account for only 21 percent of authority revenue.
Truck tolls, on the other hand, generate 48 percent of the authority's revenues, almost $16 million a year.
Duty Free stores at the base of the bridge in Buffalo and Fort Erie account for another 22 percent, or $7.2 million projected for this fiscal year.
Upcoming Events near Westside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.
- DEC says Buffalo company 'creating significant dust'
- No Frills Buffalo Releases Book by New Author