Fire Leaves 4 Homeless on Buffalo's West Side | News
Buffalo, N.Y. - Four adults are being assisted by the Red Cross, following an early-morning fire that destroyed their home.
Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Herkimer Street in Buffalo around 4 o'clock Wednesday morning. The fire was so big, fire crews were forced to fight it from the outside.
"Inside the structure are a lot of vaulted ceilings. The building was compromised and the fire was attacking it for a while, so we didn't feel comfortable, so we back everybody out and just attacked it from the outside," said Battalion Chief Roberts.
A couple of firefighters were overcome by smoke and at least one firefighter went to the hospital. They should be okay.
Five reptiles were saved from the fire.
Four people lived inside the house. They all made it out okay and are being helped out by the Red Cross. Damage to the home is estimated at $90,000.
Upcoming Events near Westside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Buffalo Alive to Host Bricks in the Bowl Celebration
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.