Unknown Stories of WNY: The Rand Mansion | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - It is known as an institution of higher learning, Canisius High School. But the grand stone building didn't start out that way. It was built as a private residence, for one of the elite couples of Buffalo. However, the Rands never lived in it.
The couple died before the home's completion. Their children lived in it for a short time, before selling it out of grief. The home went from the Masons, to the City of Buffalo, to Canisius College, and finally to Canisius High School.
It is a well known building with a little-known past, making it one of the Unknown Stories of Millionaire's Row.
Upcoming Events near Westside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Buffalo Alive to Host Bricks in the Bowl Celebration
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.