Arrest Made in Shooting Death of West Side Grandfather | News
BUFFALO, NY-- Buffalo Police Monday announced an arrest in the shooting death of an elderly man last spring that shocked and saddened his West side neighborhood.
Ansumane Kanneh, 82, was outside fixing his seven-year-old granddaughters bike when he was gunned down by a stray bullet last May at the Maryner Homes.
Bangaly Chelley, 28, of Buffalo was arrested Sunday while riding in a cab near West Avenue and Vermont Street. He's charged with murder and weapons possession.
"This case was truly one that stung the community," said Mayor Byron Brown at an afternoon news conference. "This was the life of an innocent man, lost to a senseless crime. As I said to the family shortly after this tragic incident, we would not stop as a city, a community, and as a police department until we found the perpetrator of this horrible incident. I want to thank the tireless work of Buffalo Homicide detectives who have been investigating this case for the past nine months."
Upcoming Events near Westside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grisanti Names Kelly Carrigg 'Veteran Of The Month'
- Catholic Charities WIC to Host Breastfeeding Walk, Healthy Baby Festival Aug. 8 in Erie County
- Local public health efforts bolstered by use of health information exchange
- Teams compete to climb the grease pole
- Utility work closes part of Church Street downtown
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public