Our network

Broadcasting In Buffalo Turns 90 | Community Spirit

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Broadcasting In Buffalo Turns 90
Broadcasting In Buffalo Turns 90

Today, May 22, 2012, marks the 90th anniversary of modern broadcasting in Western New York. In 1922, the Federal Telephone & Telegraph Company signed on its radio station WGR for regularly schedule broadcasts. Studios and transmitter were located on top floor of their building located at 1738 Elmwood Avenue.  A station, WWT, signed on a few weeks prior to WGR, but when silent shortly after sign-on making WGR the longest operating broadcast station in Western New York.

From a published report in the Buffalo Evening News, May 22, 1922: "WGR is the highest powered broadcasting station between Schenectady and Detroit and is said by radio experts to have by far the highest percentage of efficiently in the country. The station has been attractively arranged and furnished. The broadcasting room is hung with heavy gray drapes. These are not only pleasing to the eye but necessary to kill off any ring or echo that might interfere with the broadcasting as they improve the acoustics. There is an adjoining lounge and waiting room comfortably arranged with wicker furniture." 

 

The first day’s programing included an address and prayer by the Rev. Michael Ahern, President of Canisius College, a concert by the Yankee Six Orchestra, a discussion on the growth of Buffalo business by Albert Kinsey, President of the Chamber of Commerce and a presentation on the advantages of a college education by Dr. Julian Park, from the University of Buffalo.

 

In 1954, WGR radio would sign on WGR-TV Ch.2 (WGRZ). Historic & Hip....Forgotten Buffalo. Learn more at www.BuffaloBroadcasting.org or at www.Facebook.com/BroadcastingHistory.

Westside Businesses